11.04.2004

Introducing The Literate Kitten

What is The Literate Kitten? More than a blog – perhaps a splog better describes it. A splendiforous smorgasbordial smattering of ideas to promote literature, literacy and all things literary. A way writers and readers can come together to foster a community for the collective good.

Remember when people did things like that?

A long time ago. In a galaxy far, far away.

Hey, this is new for me, too. Trying to change the world. And what are my credentials? Nothing special. I’m a writer. An occasional adult ed teacher. Well educated (even if I didn’t attend a Seven Sisters school). I’m also a person who has structured her life as a Frank Stella painting. I am single, childless and mortgage-free. Presently, also car payment-free. I have assiduously avoided any activities that smacked of the words “joining,” “membership,” or “team.” I have invested far more time in education, writing, reading and watching movies (and more television than I care to admit, even to myself) than I have in volunteering.

Forty-four blissful years of individual pursuit of happiness, minimalist style.

I'm the last person I'd expect to start a splog.

Yet, this week has woken me up to the fact that every person has a stake in the collective good and must contribute. Even someone like me. Someone without kids or spouse or even a significant other. Someone without property or stock portfolios or even a big-screen TV. Whether or not I want to. Whether or not I know what the hell I’m doing. (I don’t.)

Is this splog a case of having nothing to say and the means to say it? God knows, I pray that isn’t the case. I only know that I need to do something, that doing something is far better than doing nothing, and that doing writing is my first step along any yellow-brick road.

I need your help. Join The Literate Kitten in the quest for a literate and literary world. Bring ideas to the table. Strike a blow for social justice. Boldly go where no man has gone before. Or just send a good chili recipe.

I, for my part, will write (shorter entries, I promise), sweat (not a pretty sight, especially when I’m in my jammies), curse (damn straight!), cajole (not a highly developed skill, I admit) and otherwise sprinkle enlightenment glitter throughout etherdom.

Look for The Literate Kitten to bring you: The Muse Muses (cart blanche contributions from writers, new and established), Read ‘n Rant (lit crit and social commentary), Kitty Litter-ature (literary panoply), Meow! (channeling our cattiness in a good way), Writing is Hell (‘nuff said), and Altruism for All (ways to promote literacy). Plus other stellar stuff The Literate Kitten fancies.

Let’s profit from this election’s lesson:
“It isn’t enough to be against something – you have to be for something, too.”

And live this quote from Walt Whitman (Leaves of Grass):
"Answer that you are here---that life exists and identity, That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse."


Bare your claws and sound the Lit Kit’s barbaric yawp! RRREEeeerrrr!




No comments: