The trees grow bare, the air turns chill. Now is the time to treat yourself to your favorite wool sweater, a cup of hot cider and a Halloween meme. In honor of Carl V., for his wonderful RIP Challenge. Tag, Carl, and other RIP participants!
1. What is your favorite work of horror fiction? Of all the chillers and thrillers, I still return to Irving Washington’s The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. It’s just a darn good story.
2. What is your favorite work of science fiction/fantasy? I’m not a big sci-fi fan, but I have to say, The Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick’s are amazingly imaginative (if not the best written). Includes The Minority Report and We Can Remember It for You Wholesale (the movie Total Recall is based on this story).
3. Who is your favorite monster? Frankenstein. Sure, he’s a fiend, but he’s got heart.
4. What horror movie gives you the most chills? Tough call. The Exorcist is spooky even on repeated viewings, but for sheer creepy atmosphere, I’m going with Tod Browning’s Freaks.
5. Freddy versus Jason? The silent treatment is always the worst. And a hockey mask is very scary.
6. What is your favorite Halloween treat? Miniature Snickers.
7. Ghosts or goblins? Ghosts. (What is a goblin anyway?)
8. What is your scariest encounter with the paranormal? The closest I’ve come was at Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. I had the feeling that there was something – spirits? – watching me from the trees. I didn’t feel scared, but I did feel strange because I didn’t understand what the “something” was.
9. Do you believe in ghosts? Not really. I’m sure there is a scientific explanation (properties of physics and such) to so-called paranormal activity. That doesn't keep me from watching the Travel Channel's Most Haunted or Sci-Fi Channel's Ghost Hunters! (Aren't Jason and Grant cute?)
10. Favorite Halloween costume? I have an idea to go as a Rorschach ink blot. I want to get a black T-shirt and fingerpaint a white abstract image on it. Then, when people ask “What are you?”, I can reply, “What do you think I am?”